Hello! I’m Len Assante and I’m running for Sumner County Commission, 6th district.
Why I’m Running
* Education, schools, and teachers – A high quality school system with well-supported teachers, able administrators and well-prepared students is a critical component of any community. I will work to build on the work of our School Board and Commissioners who have supported schools in the past. The economic, quality of life and civic advantages of strong schools can not be underestimated.
* Planned and controlled growth – Everyone I have talked to in the 6th district talks about growth. We are one of the fastest growing parts of the county and we stand to reap the benefits -and the disadvantages- of fast growth. Population growth helps provide the amenities and resources we desire, but also brings the pitfalls of traffic congestion, infrastructure stress and constant construction. We need planned, controlled growth that respects the heritage and nature of Sumner County. We are known for our natural beauty, not our suburban sprawl, and I will work to keep it that way.
* Communication – I’ve taught or studied communication my entire adult life. I know how effective communication can improve efficiency, resolve conflict, strengthen relationships and improve transparency. I’ll work to ensure effective communication between our local governments, with our schools and with you.
* 30 years teaching experience, 12 years education administration at Volunteer State Community College
-2006 Outstanding Faculty Award
-Past Speaker, Faculty Council
* Board of Directors, Gallatin Area Chamber of Commerce
* Founding Board President VSA Arts Tennessee (now Borderless Arts TN)
* Board Member, Cottages of Last Plantation HOA
* Graduate, Leadership Sumner
* Graduate, Regents Academic Leadership Institute
* Founding Board Member, Flying Musicians Association
* Executive Vice Chair, Sumner County Democratic Party
* Member and Past President, Tennessee Communication Association
-Communication Educator of the Year Award, 2006
-Dorotha Norton Spirit of Service Award, 2015
* Member, Tennessee State Employees Association
* BA Communication, Rutgers University
* MA Communication, University at Buffalo